The Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians was established in 1956 as the Texas District Branch Association of the American Psychiatric Association. It incorporated as a non-profit scientific organization in 1963. Following a membership vote in May, 1986, the Constitution and Bylaws were amended to reflect the new name, Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians. The name was changed to emphasize that psychiatry is the only branch of medicine which specializes in and deals with the delivery of care and treatment of persons with mental illness, and that it is the only mental health provider whose members are trained and licensed as physicians. By adopting the name change to the Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians, the Society underscored psychiatry’s special, unduplicated role in the care and treatment of mental illness. TSPP has 18 Chapters located throughout Texas (see below).