The Guidelines of Practice for Psychiatric Consultants Providing Psychiatric Services to Patients in Nursing Homes and Convalescent Facilities were drafted by the TSPP Professional Practices Committee and adopted by the TSPP Executive Council on May 21, 1995. An amendment to this document was approved by the TSPP Executive Council on May 28, 2000.
These Guidelines are not considered to be prescriptive for all patients due to the wide variety of circumstances associated with the presentation of patients for psychiatric care.
1. Psychiatric evaluation and initiation of treatment plan.
2. Follow-up monitoring of each patient.
3. Communication with the family or legal guardian concerning psychiatric problems.
4. Communication with the nursing home physician about any changes in the psychiatric treatment plan.
5. Recognition and treatment of any psychotropic medication side effects.
6. Involvement with quality assurance with regards to psychotropic medication policies of the nursing home.
7. Assistance with patients’ medical legal issues (commitments and guardianships).
1 On May 28, 2000, the TSPP Executive Council approved a name change of the Professional Standards Committee to the Professional Practices Committee.